Wednesday, November 03, 2004

L'Election

Well, the election has come and gone. We all know the results; 49% or so of the populace wanted anything but Bush; the other 51% were, well, mentally retarded.

Let’s see what has been said about The Masses.

Nothing is more revolting than the majority; for it consists of few vigorous predecessors, of knaves who accommodate themselves, of weak people who assimilate themselves, and the mass that toddles after them without knowing in the least what it wants.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The great masses of men, even in this inspired republic, are precisely where the mob was at the dawn of history. They are ignorant, they are dishonest, they are cowardly, they are ignoble. They know little if anything that is worth knowing, and there is not the slightest sign of a natural desire among them to increase their knowledge.
- H.L. Mencken

Every step in human progress, from the first feeble stirrings in the abyss of time, has been opposed by the great majority of men. Every valuable thing that has been added to the store of man's possessions has been derided by them when it was new, and destroyed by them when they had the power. They have fought every new truth ever heard of, and they have killed every truth-seeker who got into their hands.
- H.L. Mencken

Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
-Gore Vidal

It is a besetting vice of democracies to substitute public opinion for law. This is the usual form in which masses of men exhibit their tyranny.
-James Fenimore Cooper

So I’ve spent the better part of the day being hopping mad and simultaneously deeply depressed. While on the one hand I’ve never doubted mankind’s lunacy or idiocy, it just hurts when confronted by it so dramatically and in such a forthright manner. But what can be done?
Very little.

As I watched the states in our union turn from blank to red, I blamed anyone I knew from that particular state. When Nebraska turned red I yelled out scores of blame at EG whom I’ve hated for years. I knew it was all her fault that Bush got elected. How do I know that? Simple; I’m not dumb, my IQ is very high, and I’m beautiful.

I am glad that none of the red states are states I’d ever want to go to, save for skiing in Wyoming. However, WHYoming has proved itself perfectly sane and normal with their wonderfully progressive laws, so I feel confident of being beaten up by anyone from WHYoming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home